Renesas Optimized Sub-GHz Band Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 Solution for Wireless IoT Networks
There are many challenges faced by customers who are building wireless IoT systems. There is a need to select the best communication method out of many available wireless communication methods, be able to design the wireless system easily, operate using batteries, and make the communication choice cost-effective. A solution from Renesas that addresses these challenges is based on the R9A06G062, a sub-GHz wireless communication transceiver.
Renesas’ innovative Sub-GHz transceiver is the first product developed based on Wi‑SUN FAN 1.1 (Wireless Smart Utility Network for Field Area Networks, version 1.1) supporting both Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiplexing (OFDM) and FSK modulation in which the OFDM modulation is ideal for applications downloading large data. The R9A06G062GNP transceiver delivers high-speed and robust wireless communications with less radio interference in smart meters, IoT applications, and environment monitoring systems. Compliant with PHY Layer for Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 Profile, users can reach out to a larger network capacity and can support most global smart meter frequency bands (863-928MHz).
Key Features of R9A06G062GNP Transceiver and Solution:
- Max. 2.4Mbps high-speed communications
- Power efficiency of communication data increased by 3 times to 0.2mW/kbps
Wi-SUN FAN network enables robust high-speed communication, ultra-low power operation and large scale network
Wireless communications based on the advantage of Sub-GHz band features: Compared to the 2.4GHz band which is used for Wi-Fi and many other wireless communications, the Sub-GHz band offers robust wireless communications that reach farther, bypass obstacles, and cause less radio interference.
Wi-SUN FAN (Wireless Smart Utility Network for Field Area Networks) is an international standard for wide-area and long-distance communications using radio waves in the Sub-GHz band – a frequency area below 1 GHz – which has been popularly used in smart electricity, gas, and water meters. Compliance with the Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 profile supports orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM) modulation and ultra-low power consumption operation with intermittent operation (LFN: Limited Function Node). The high-speed communication of OFDM modulation enables data to be transmitted in a shorter period of time, while the LFN function is ideal for battery-powered devices such as sensor equipment.
R9A06G062 supports the Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 profile, which allows installation of many network terminal devices using LFNs and enables large-scale network construction while maintaining compatibility with the conventional Wi-SUN FAN standard FAN 1.0 profile.
- International Standard: The new R9A06G062 Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 certified solution complies with the international Wi-SUN FAN standard. Communication between devices compliant with the standard is assured, allowing customers to focus on developing the application layer that controls the network.
- No communication costs required: The Sub-GHz band is a license-free frequency band. Since there is Wi-SUN FAN network communication between the R9A06G062 devices installed in the customer’s equipment, there is no special installation work or costs to be paid to telecommunication carriers. This leads to a reduction in system operating costs.
- Rich development support tools: Renesas provides board design guidelines, PC tools for wireless performance evaluation, and PC tools for Wi-SUN FAN network evaluation. We also support hardware and software development for our customers.
Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 Based High Speed Sub-GHz Wireless Communication
Wi-SUN FAN 1.1 (Wireless Smart Utility Network for Field Area Network profile) based high-speed sub-GHz wireless communication enables us to control various infrastructures such as sensing, lighting, and building automation with a large-scale mesh network. This solution provides a sub-GHz communication module and a total mesh network solution.
- Fully integrated radio transceiver covering 863-928MHz
- High-speed communication (2.4Mbps) realizes picture communication
- Amplifier and power devices in this block diagram support up to 12dBm (15.8mW). If increased range and performance are required, the power components in the sub-GHz module can be easily upgraded.
- Sub-GHz module with PMOD interface makes solution development easier: Renesas Quick-Connect IoT Module